Re: Chimney Flues

Gerard,

Chimney flue size is typically a function of the firebox opening into the room, and the height from the top of the firebox to the top of the chimney. Most of the time a 12" round flue will work for one and two story structures, but the flue walls are typically 1" thick. Therefore, unless you are using zero clearance flues which supposedly allow contact with wood, but I don't trust, there will not be room to go between joists. Now if they are small fireboxes, you might sneak by with a 10" flue, but I'd plan on creating a chase that the joists don't pass through. This does present issues with resisting the wind loads against the chase, and if you can't resolve those with the horizontal plates and "rim joists" at the floor lines, you might be able to get a pair of joists through the chase. But back to the original question of transferring horizontal diaphragm loads to the outside walls of the chase, I'd look at dragging from the adjacent deck. You are fortunate that the deck aligns as I usually find the chase is a projection with a solid wall that can't be used to resist building loads.

Steve P
Pasadena CA