Re: Chimney Flues

Nels,

I have some issues with the rumford site when it talks about anchoring the masonry structures to the floors and roofs if they are on an exterior wall. I know the standard that was published for years showed this anchoring, but if a strap exists between the chimney and the wood framing, where do the lateral loads go? Do you design the wood framed house to hold up the masonry or design the masonry structure to hold up the wood framing? I'd heard at one time Amrhein or someone was working on the idea of a spring type strap that provided some restraint to the chimney by transferring some loads to the wood house, but not all. And at the same time, the masonry structure didn't have to be designed as a cantilevered structure. But I'm not aware of this effort ever coming to fruition. Do you know if there was any positive progress on this effort? It would be nice to design masonry chimneys as something other than a cantilevered structure.

Steve Privett
Pasadena, CA

Nels Roselund, SE wrote:

<SNIP>
James Amrhein wrote "Residential Masonry Fireplace and Chimney Handbook"
published by Masonry Institute of America.  It covers everything you need to
know about building the kind of fireplace and chimney that has become
conventional in the western U.S.

Also check out http://www.rumford.com for information on the Rumford
fireplace design -- quite different form the conventional design, plus lots
of general information on fireplaces and chimneys.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net