Re: bolted moment connections

Assuming you are talking about connections for special
moment frames(frames with high ductility), then yes,
you have to reinforce your beam-column connection.

With high strength friction grip bolts, you should be
able to design for moment capacity of beam and not a
factor times as much.

Select beam sections accordingly to attain the weak
beam strong column action. Any constructively selected
heavy beam will cost you accordingly with respect to
connection.

I use haunches and extended endplate moment connection
with high strength friction bolts employing thick
endplates. These bolts are required for better cycling
to increase shear and bearing capacity. We do this
where loads are not too high.

In other cases large moments would show up and we
usually elect to use full penetration welds at the
connection. Again stiffening of the web is usually
necessary. A bolted connection is then made away from
the beam-column connection in the form of a beam
splice, again using HSFG bolts

Good luck