Re: AISC Code of Standard Practice

Dan Goodrich wrote:
I have a question regarding the AISC Code of Standard Practice(9th Addition) in reference to the allowable tolerances for columnplacement and anchor bolts. Paragraph 7.5.1 (b) calls for 1/4 in. center to center tolerance ofadjacent anchor bolt groups. Paragraph 7.5.1 (c) gives a total accumulation not to exceed 1 in.for anchor bolt groups. Paragraph 7.11.3.1 (b) & (d) allows the working points of the columnto be displaced up to 2 in. from the established column line. Paragraph 7.11.3.1 (c) allows for a 1-1/2 in. envelope for the columnlocation tolerances. Assuming I have a one story building, if paragraph 7.5.1 (b) governs,then the other requirements are not really needed.  How do theseseemingly contradictory tolerances fit together, and what really governs? Dan Goodrich, P.E.

The Code of Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges dated September 1, 1986, (appears in 9th edition Manual) has been superceded by a vastly improved Code of Standard Practice dated March 7, 2000. the Code of Standard Practice is not written around any Design Specification. The new COSP is applicable to either ASD or LRFD design.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical structural engineer