ASCE Wind Speed Criteria

We are currently consulting for a project outside of California.  The code requirement specified is ASCE 7-95, but the jurisdiction supplied wind speed requirements are lower than the wind speeds indicated as appropriate in the ASCE map.

The perception we are getting is that many jurisdictions have adopted the latest ASCE code without understanding the shift from fastest mile to three second gust wind speed requirements.  Application of 100 mph fastest mile to the three second gust requirements will result in considerably lower than intended force levels.

We do not have a problem with this project other than the owners eyes glazing over as we endeavor to explain the differences between three second gust and fastest mile wind speeds and why it is appropriate to design for higher wind speed requirements than the jurisdiction specified.  But I thought the experience interesting, and am curious if others are encountering similar situations.

Paul Feather
San Diego, CA