From: Paul Feather <pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com>
To: SEAOC List <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: ASCE Wind Speed Criteria
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:38 AM

We are currently consulting for a project outside of California.  The code
requirement specified is ASCE 7-95, but the jurisdiction supplied wind
speed requirements are lower than the wind speeds indicated as appropriate
in the ASCE map.

The perception we are getting is that many jurisdictions have adopted the
latest ASCE code without understanding the shift from fastest mile to three
second gust wind speed requirements.  Application of 100 mph fastest mile
to the three second gust requirements will result in considerably lower
than intended force levels.

We do not have a problem with this project other than the owners eyes
glazing over as we endeavor to explain the differences between three second
gust and fastest mile wind speeds and why it is appropriate to design for
higher wind speed requirements than the jurisdiction specified.  But I
thought the experience interesting, and am curious if others are
encountering similar situations.

Paul Feather
San Diego, CA