Re: ASCE Wind Speed Criteria

I find this typical in the South, where SBC is still the default for small
buildings.  SBC uses the old wind speeds.

Unless I am mistaken, most, if not all, of the South uses 1997 SBC, which
defaults to ASCE 7-95.  I have begun to use ASCE 7-98 for wind loads (it makes
more sense).  If the client asks, I've simply explained, "It makes little
difference, but I'm more comfortable with the latest code revisions".  I don't
discuss wind speeds with non-engineer clients, but I "propose" wind speeds and
codes for more savvy clients.

Keith Fix
Little Rock