length to be used for tension bracing kl/r

I seem to be constantly coming up with bracing member sizes that are
controlled by kl/r instead of the force in the member.  I have been
using the full length of the member when evaluating kl/r.  My question
is this: for X-bracing angles that are designed for tension only with
the kl/r<300 recommendation, is it reasonable to use a length of 1/2
the actual length when the angles are bolted together at the center.  I
know that the other angle wouldn't give it much lateral support to
prevent buckling in one of the directions if I were designing for
compression, but to satisfy the l/r<300 recommendation for tension
members, I would think that it might be OK.  I understand from the AISC
9th ed. commentary on B.7 that the recommendation is made to "afford a
degree of stiffness such that lateral movement ("slapping" or
vibration) will be avoided. What approach do most engineers use?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ken

=====
Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.