RE: ASCE Wind Speed Criteria

Bill:

I have been a Structural Engineer in the petrochemical industry since 1974.
We have always designed to local building codes.  Even in foreign
countries, we designed to the UBC.  I haven't designed for uniform wind
pressures since ANSI A58.1 was published, even though it took a while for
the UBC to switch from uniform pressures to wind velocities.

If you go to the ASCE website, I am sure that you can find for purchase the
five ASCE documents prepared by the Petrochemical Industry for seismic
design, wind design, blast design, anchor bolt design, and secondary
containment design.  All five documents start with model building codes and
then extend them into greater depth.  As you will see, the petrochemical
industry designs for conditions more stringent than the building codes.

You should take a look at how the petrochemical industry operates as part
of your own continuing education.  You might learn something.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel

************************

                    "Bill Polhemus"
                    <bill@polhemus.      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    cc>
                    06/27/01 12:41       cc:
                    PM
                    Please respond       Subject:     RE: ASCE Wind Speed Criteria
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

That's  my point. I should mention this guy is an "old-timer," who worked
for years in  the industrial/petrochemical end of things. They have never
used "building  codes" per se in that industry, and don't to this day.

Most  of the time they'd just stipulate some uniform pressure to represent
wind when  designing a pipe rack or some such, and that's what he  knows.

FWIW,  I find myself firmly in support of mandatory continuing education
for engineer  licensure, and that's one example why.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering  Company
Katy, Texas

the views of the company.