RE: ASCE Wind Speed Criteria

I find the generalization, of industrial/petrochemical wind design
practices, to be far from the truth.  In fact ASCE has a 1997 publication
titled, "Wind Loads and Anchor Bolt Design for Petrochemical Facilities."
The design practices of various operating companies and engineering
companies were reviewed.  All but one of the design practices were based
solely on the then current version of ASCE7 or one of it's predecessors.
The remaining practice was based on the UBC and ANSI A58.1 (A predecessor
of ASCE7).  ASCE7 is a more detailed approach to wind design than most
building codes.

Evan Jorgensen, S.E.
Fluor Daniel
Aliso Viejo, CA

Bill Polhemus wrote:

That's my point. I should mention this guy is an "old-timer," who worked
for
years in the industrial/petrochemical end of things. They have never used
"building codes" per se in that industry, and don't to this day.

Most of the time they'd just stipulate some uniform pressure to represent
wind when designing a pipe rack or some such, and that's what he knows.

FWIW, I find myself firmly in support of mandatory continuing education for
engineer licensure, and that's one example why.
William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas

the views of the company.