PRE-DIMENSIONING HELP

Hello Everyone,
Imagine a gable roof rigid frame with tapered members
seen from the front. At the left you have a tapered
column (C1), then you have a rafter from the knee to a
certain distance (R1) and then you have another rafter
that goes from that point up to the ridge (R2).

Are there any rules of thumb for pre-dimensioning of
this kind of frames?  Obviously, dimensions depend on
span, loads, materials, etc. But I would like to know
if there is a simple way to determine:
a) the initial column C1 depth
b) the final column C1 depth at the knee
c) the initial rafter depth R1 at the knee
d) the distance from the knee to the "transition
point"
e) the depth at that transition point
f) the depth of rafter R2 at the ridge

Thanks for your opinion.