RE: Tube to Tube Moment Frames

I've done many Porte Cochere's here in Southern California. Rather than
try to create a moment frame from the tubes steel, I would recommend
using the steel columns as cantilevered columns - flag poles and
embedding them through a grade beam to erection pad below or into a post
hole foundation like a sign or flagpole.
The stiffness is important only if you are connecting to another
structure. In most cases what will govern is the uplift on the roof due
to wind and the foundation of the Porte Cochere is more important as a
deadman than it is for lateral support due to seismic loads.

By embedding the columns, you can make a simple connection to the beams
supporting the roof (assuming that this is a typical clay tile, open
beam framing type structure that is common in California. Design the
lateral component using an R of 2.2 and follow the UBC Chapter 16
guidelines to design the connections.

Write me privately if you need any further information.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

The Structuralist is a Public, Professional and Educational website
devoted to issues on Housing. You are invited to participate or simply
visit our discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire
link beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no
spaces between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: