RE: perforated shear walls - seismic design manual - volume 2

Perforated shearwall approach allows you to use skinny segments of solid
wall when you otherwise would be prohibited due to the aspect ratio-that is
its benefit.

is that right?  my apa report (dated april 2000) defines a perforated
shearwall segment as "a section of shearwall with full height sheathing and
which meets minimum aspect ratio requirements in the governing building
code".  it also states that "a perforated shearwall segment of minimum
length must be located at each end of a perforated shearwall".

i agree that there can be skinny segments in the interior portion of the
wall, but their lengths can't be included in the summation of shearwall
segments - right?

am i missing something here?

hago
da