RE: perforated shear walls - seismic design manual - volume 2

David,
I would refer you to the Perforated Shearwall Forum on the
Structuralist.net in the Technical Discussion Forum;
http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=
Category&CID=15&SID=14867

COPY THE ENTIRE LINK FROM HTTP TO 14867 WITH NO SPACES (JOIN MULTIPLE
LINES).

While there is a methodology to design perforated walls, the majority of
work is based on emperical testing of walls with various layouts and
this was used to help establish a design criteria. So far there are many
questions left to be answered (the latest which has been tested by
NAHB-RC is the holddown requirments at the end of long walls with
returns).

The original testing and most of the updated information provided by
Virginia Tech's Professor Dan Dolan's is posted available for review on
this site.

I appears that Perforated wall design will be addressed in the 2003 IBC
as will LRFD for engineered wood structures.

I have received notice of other information coming out on Perforated
walls and will update the forum as the information is made available.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

The Structuralist is a Public, Professional and Educational website
devoted to issues on Housing. You are invited to participate or simply
visit our discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire
link beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no
spaces between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: