Re: Diaphragm Rigidity

I think Dennis is on the correct path.  Aspect ratio of the diaphragm is
going to influence the rigidity, the closer to a square shape, the more rigid
the diaphragm in both directions. I think you can show that the unblocked
diaphragm is rigid by calculating the diaphrgam deflection as rigid and
multiplying it by 2.5 as Dennis suggests.  The ceiling and soffit framing
will probably help stiffen the roof system.  The partition walls that are
attached to the roof framing members will also help stiffen the roof
diaphragm (sort of like taking the lid off of a shoe box and putting dividers
inside the shoe box and trying to twist it, the dividers make the shoe box
more stiff).

So how much money is the framing going to give back since he bid the plans
that said the diaphragm is blocked?

Mike Cochran

In a message dated 6/28/2001 8:22:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,