RE: UCBC Appendix Chapter 1 - URM Retrofit question

Lynn,
Borland (who owned Quattro at the time) was sued by Lotus and this is
where the problems started. Borland used to provide a Lotus compatible
menu structure which I used to create the "macros" necessary to print
EQUAKE and to move around the sheet. This was lost when Borland lost the
suit and had to remove the Lotus menu compatibility from Quattro. This
was also the end of the retrofit work in Southern California and the
sales of the program was not sufficient to allow me to rewrite it for
Excel.
I converted it to Excel, but it lacks all of the menus and macros for
printing which means that the user is on their own for navigating and
printing the spreadsheet.

The good news is that I never used any macros or formal programming
languages (such as VBA) in the spreadsheet and all of the functions
created in Lotus were compatible with both Quattro and Excel. The
program works, but the refined navigational features are gone.

Also gone, but which are easy enough to recreate is the cell formating
for color, borders, etc. If you recall, this was about the time the
Quattro became a Windows Program and all of the appearances were
formated in Quattro. When I transferred it to Excel, the formating was
lost.

This is why I wish to donate it at this point. The software can be a
good learning tool for those who wish to create spreadsheets and it can
be a very useful URM design program for those willing to add the graphic
formating (a simple but tedius process made simpler lately by the
ability to copy and paste formating to similar ranges). The same is true
of the printing and sheet navigation.

I would only ask that if someone improve the spreadsheet that they be
kind enough to donate it back to the forum so others can benefit and
improve upon it.  I know that URM Retrofit work is growing in Oregon,
Washington and Utah. I don't have any desire to go into the software
business again as the cost of constantly advertising the ware was almost
as much as the number I sold. However, it was fun and I profitted nicely
from the work I completed using that spreadsheet.

I will dig up the most current version I can find (I did use it about
six years ago for a project in Santa Ana) and I'll post it on the
Spreadsheet forum. I will create a new forum for CAD drawing submittals
as space permits.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for: