Re: Unfamiliar bar joists

"Adair, Joel" wrote:

> We have a project in Reynosa, Mexico that involves adding some framing to an
> existing building.  The existing framing uses some joists that we are
> unfamiliar with, and we wanted to find out if someone might have an idea who
> the possible manufacturer might have been.  The joists are designated "40
> JS" on the plans.  The chord members (called "sombreros" on the plans) look
> like cold-formed light gauge sections with a configuration like this (pardon
> the ASCII art):
>
>      ___
> |___/   \___|
>
> They are designated "cal. 14", which we understand is 14-gauge.  They are
> 0.18 m (7 inches) wide and 0.03 m (1-3/16") deep.
>
> The web members are made of continuous bar stock bent into a normal joist
> web configuration, and welded to the chords at the bend.
>
> Anyone have any information on these joists?  Who would be a possible
> supplier or manufacturer?

That type of chord section was used in joists made by Truscon, Bethlehem, and
Armco.  None of the old catalogs that I have show a chord width at 7 inches.

What year range were these joists produced?

Are the joist seats made with just an inverted piece of chord material or do
they have a piece of flat plate attached?

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical structural engineer