Re: seaint Digest for 28 Jun 2001

Ken Peoples asked a question regarding the allowable length to use for kl/r
calculations for bracing members in an X braced frame configuration.  I
would like to direct you all to a paper by Rafael Sabelli and Doug Hohbach
examining this exact question:  "Design of Cross-Braced Frames for
Predictable Buckling Behavior" - Journal of Structural Engineering,
February 1999 p.163, p.168.  I think you might be further enlightened about
the reasons it is acceptable to use 1/2 the length of the member under
consideration.

Kevin Moore, SE
Project Engineer
Degenkolb Engineers