RE: Masonry Cement

Don't allow it.  The bond strength is not as good and it is not as water
tight as lime/cement mortar.  There is much more entrained air in masonry
cement which decreases the bond strength.  The strongest argument I have
heard for the use of masonry cement is that the masons find it easier to
work with and they will do a better job than if they are forced to work with
lime/cement mortar.  La Farge and at least one other company in the mid-west
have a product that is called "mortar cement".  I think it has the good
properties of lime/cement mortar and it is easier to work with for the
masons.  Some people think that masonry cement and mortar cement are the
same thing. We specify that is it is equally acceptable to lime/cement
mortar but make clear that masonry cement is unacceptable.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.