From: Effland, Greg [mailto:geeffland(--nospam--at)butlermfg.com]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 14:30
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: LOAD COMBINATIONS

In Section 9 - Load Combinations of 96 MBMA there are 3 sets of load
combinations:

9.1.1 Non-Seismic Load Combinations (ASD as mentioned in 9.1)
9.1.2 Seismic Load Combinations (ASD)
9.2 Load and Resistance Factor Design (answer to Question #2, Yes if these
combinations are used)

Question #1 (applies to ASD Design)
Av = Velocity-related acceleration (refer to Section 7 - Sesmic Loads)
This Av term is very similar to the Av term used in BOCA National Building
Codes (NBC) and NEHRP (at least the 91 and 94 versions).  A graph (Figure
7.1.4(a) on page I-7-3) of the U.S. shows the values for Av.  For outside of
the US I am not sure where you would get an Av value.

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC MO