RE: Masonry Cement

I prohibit the use of both masonry cement and masonry mortar.  If you check
out the specs for both of these, in either ASTM or UBC Standards, you will
see that the specs are mechanical and strength requirements and neither spec
requires *any* portland cement to be included.  Both products are proprietary
and the actual constituents are secrets of the producer.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Roger Davis wrote:

. > Don't allow it.  The bond strength is not as good and it is not as water
. > tight as lime/cement mortar.  There is much more entrained air in masonry
. > cement which decreases the bond strength.  The strongest argument I have
. > heard for the use of masonry cement is that the masons find it easier to
. > work with and they will do a better job than if they are forced to work
. > with lime/cement mortar. La Farge and at least one other company in the
. > mid-west have a product that is called "mortar cement". I think it has
. > the good properties of lime/cement mortar and it is easier to work with
. > for the masons. Some people think that masonry cement and mortar cement
. > are the same thing. We specify that is it is equally acceptable to
. > lime/cement mortar but make clear that masonry cement is unacceptable.

. > Roger C. Davis
. > Architect
. > SDS Architects, Inc.