RE: Errata to 97 UBC (galvanized nails in PT above grade)

Title: Message
First, my apologies to Tim Timmerman of Shear Transfer Systems (manufacturer of Shear Max - prefabricated shear wall system). Tim mentioned his problem posting the copy of a letter sent to the Technical Director of the California Building Industry Association. I set up a forum for Tim's Shear Max product on the Structuralist, but simply forgot to post the letter. It was posted in our Code Administration Forum as it is more appropriate here.

The letter confirms ICBO's intent to issue an errata to the 97 UBC section 2304.3 for fasteners in contact with preservative treated wood above grade. An exception issued in the 94 UBC was omitted during the reorganization of the 97 UBC sections. A copy of the letter and code insertion is now available on the Structuralist.Net in the Code Administration Forum at:

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action="">
(You must copy the entire link without spaces starting with http:// and ending with BID=169)

I have also added a Forum for Tim's Shear Max product for those interested in discussing proprietary shearwall systems. To be fair, I have also added a forum for Simplified Structural System's Hardy Frames and Panels as well as Simpson's Strong-Wall. These are open forums and you may post messages. I will make sure that manufacturers are notified so that they might check in from time to time to address the questions posted. These Topics are located in the "New Products and Building Materials Forum at:

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action="">
(You must copy the entire link without spaces starting with http:// and ending with SID=15005)

If there are other proprietary products or materials you would like to see represented on the discussion forums, please let me know and they will be added.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

The Structuralist is a Public, Professional and Educational website devoted to issues on Housing. You are invited to participate or simply visit our discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action="">

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces between any of the letters or characters.

Our Residential Listservice is open to all professionals in the building industry and the discussions include code compliance issues as well as quality of construction, prescriptive vs. full compliance, present and future code development and more. The AEC-Residential List is by subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: