RE: Masonry Cement

For field testing, ASTM C270 is a measure of consistency but it does report
a measure that is described as the compressive strength of the mortar.  The
result is not a legitimate measure of strength but it tends to be used as
one.  There doesn't seem to be any good test for mortar or masonry
assemblies, prism tests are certainly not good tests.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.