RE: Masonry Cement

By "masonry mortar" do you mean "Mortar cement" or is this another variant?
The information I have is that "Mortar cement" does meet the strength and
the proportion requirements of ASTM C-270.  That may mean that a blended
cement is used instead of an entirely Portland cement but it will still
contain Portland cement.  The reason I allow it is because you can use the
same tensile stresses permitted for lime-cement mortars.  It may not be as
"pure" as lime-cement mortar but I don't know of a problem with it.

I am reluctant to allow additives to concrete mixes also - even though I
believe potable water probably does more damage to concrete that most
additives.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.