Re: Masonry Cement

Jim,

Masonry cement:  ASTM C 91 - A physical specification for a substitute for
portland cement in the construction of masonry.  No portland cement is
required to be in this product.

Masonry Mortar:  A misstatement.

Mortar Cement:  ASTM C 1329/UBC Std 21-14 - Basically the same as ASTM C 91.

Premix Mortar:  Generally a premixed portland cement-lime mortar in which the
proportions of cement, sand, lime are volumetrically combined in a plant.
The
mortar can be mixed dry and water added at the site or can be mixed wet and
discharged at the site similar to concrete.  Much better than having a worker
working off a hangover counting shovelfuls of sand into a mixer and
estimating the portion of bags of lime that are added.  Premixed mortar can
also be obtained at the local building supply store in bags.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jim Kestner wrote:

. >  I am being confused by all these terms. Could someone please define the
. > following terms for clarity:

. > Masonry cement
. > Masonry Mortar
. > Mortar Cement