Joist Girder Connection

I am designing a joist girder connection to a TS10x10.  The connection is
for wind and live load moments.  I understand the typical bottom
connection is a 3/4" thick knife plate.  The bottom chord of the girder
slips over the plate.  I want to get some feedback as to how others
handle the connection to a tube.  Do you add a horiz. plate to help
transfer the load to the tube sidewalls?  Do you try to slot the tube and
knife the plate all the way through so there is a direct transfer to the
adjacent joist girder?

I understand the gap between the bottom chord angles is 1 inch.  Using a
3/4" plate, do you do anything to fill the 1/4" gap?

Rich
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.