ASTM A120-21

ASTM A120-21 is a 1921 ASTM specification.  My ASTM index indicates the title
of the spec is, "Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped
Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) Welded and Seamless for Ordinary Uses."  ASTM A 120
was discontinued in 1987 and is replaced by A 53.

Now, if the building was not built in or about 1921, then you can guess that
someone is using an outdated spec and not knowing what it says.  And you can
also guess that the contractor knew that and installed some type of steel
pipe columns.

If the building was built since 1966, I can look in my ASTM Standards and see
if that pipe is listed in the steel volumes that I have and what the
properties are.  If the building was built before 1966 (or if I don't have A
120 specs), your best bet would be to go to your local university science
library and see if they have/keep old ASTM Standards.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Pat Clark wrote:

. >     I have a remodel project with some 3" diameter steel pipe columns
. > labeled ASTM A120-21, does anyone have the design strength properties for
. > material formed under this spec?

. > Pat Clark, P.E.