Re: Allowable Stresses In Wood

See last month's archive for this topic.

-gerard
SF. CA

>>> MBryson(--nospam--at)mhpse.com 07/02/01 04:39PM >>>
I wonder if someone has some knowledge about the change in allowable bending
stresses in wood?
The fb values seem to have come down abruptly with the UBC94 code presumably
because of large scale testing done. For example 2x12 Doug. Fir #2 went from
1250psi to 875psi. Now can this change be attributed to the size effect
factor because the new tests were done on large scale specimens? Or because
of new growth material i.e. all the older & stronger wood had been used up
and we are now using newer & poorer second growth wood. This is relevant
because when assessing existing buildings which fb do you use? Old or new
values?