RE: Masonry Cement

Mortar cement has a minimum bond strength specified by ASTM C 1329, masonry
cement does not have any specified requirement for bond strength specified
by ASTM C 91.  ACI 530 allows you to use the same flexural tension values
for mortar cement as for Portland cement/lime mortar.  The values it allows
for masonry cement are much less.  That is the primary reason that I allow
the use of mortar cement.  I also think that if the masons find it easier to
work with than Portland cement/lime mortar they will do a better job.
What is the reason that you object to mortar cement other than being
uncomfortable with not knowing the composition of the blended cement?  The
reason I mentioned concrete additives was to point out that they form a
product other than the historically pure "concrete".  They consist of
concoctions that we really don't know much about but we either accept or
reject based on what others tell us about them.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.