600' metal deck roof cracking exterior cmu walls - exansion joint spacing rules of thumb?

I am dealing with a new permit with a metal deck roof that is expanding
thermally causing exterior cmu walls at the ends of the building to be
pushed outward and crack.  What are there some rule of thumb for expansion
joint size and spacing for metal roof deck?

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://www.muni.org/building
Development Services Department