RE: Ethical Responsibility?

Dennis,

This is a public safety matter!  What you have been told is like an attorney
telling a doctor not to report an outbreak of the bubonic plague, or an
attorney telling a water supply company not to report the contamination of
of  the drinking water source.

In a situation like this, I would tell the attorney to get a court order
prohibiting me from reporting this situation to the proper authorities.
Getting the court order would put it in the public record, exactly the
opposite of what the attorney wants.

If California law is similar to Arizona law, you are required to report
unsafe conditions to the appropriate authorities, and if you don't, you are
subject to loss of your license.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dennis Wish wrote:

. > On a similar situation, I was called out by an owner and his insurance
. > company to inspect structural damage in in Condo complex due to
. > extensive termite damage. I wrote up my initial investigation and
. > referenced the Pest Inspection services to conclude that further
. > investigation was necessary as the extent of potentially serious
. > structual damage was visible throughout the unit I inspected and had
. > been reported by others to be evident in other units throughout the
. > complex.

. > The HOA attorney stopped all work and squelched the report (which was
. > sent to the owner, his insurance company and the contractor he hired to
. > do the repairs). So far nothing has been done and there is a serious
. > condition but we have been prevented from intervening by the HOA and
. > their attorney. I suppose I could submit my preliminary report to the
. > building official but I have been warned against doing so.

. > So what is the next move - I feel my hands are tied as all of the
. > appropriate people including the Home Owners Association (HOA) has been
. > notified.

. > Dennis