Continuing Education, Ethics, & Heartburn

I'm rapidly developing a case of heartburn, and wonder if there is any
remedy.

Three states in which I'm licensed require "Continuing Education" for
license renewal (5 or 6 will require it by sundown).  This is GOOD!  It
gives me an incentive to do what I should be doing all-along.

The bad news is the "prescriptive" direction that is being taken.

For example, Louisiana requires, "at least 1 PDH in professional ethics",
and "a minimum of 8 PDH's in the Life Safety Code, building codes and/or
Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines".

Florida has its own idea of how many required hours of ethics (at least 4,
as I recall), plus state-specific classes ("a minimum of one of the six
Commission-approved Cores..." on the new Florida Building Code).  Likewise
Alabama...

THE COMPLAINT!!!

The mandatory hours are eating into the time which, IMNSHO, would be better
applied in improving my technical skills.  I'm a one-man-show, and must
personally pay for, and attend, all these classes.

My entire training budget for 2001 will be "eaten" by administrative,
rather than by technical courses.

Again (I know the answer already), is there any remedy?

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
1724 Beaver Pond Rd.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561
   Phone 850-932-5547