Re: Ethical Responsibility?

Fountain,

Arizona's Rules (www.btr.state.az.us) state:

-----------------Begin Quote-------------

ARTICLE 3. REGULATORY PROVISIONS

R4-30-301. Rules of Professional Conduct

All registrants shall comply with the following standards of professional
conduct:

[snip]

 15.  If a registrant's professional judgment is overruled or not adhered to
under circumstances where a serious threat to the public health, safety, or
welfare may result, the registrant shall immediately notify the responsible
party, appropriate building official, or agency, and the Board of the
specific nature of the public threat.

[Remainder of Article snipped]

-------------------End Quote------------

If Florida's laws prohibit doctors from reporting contagious diseases, then I
would think that Florida is unique.  To the best of my knowledge, all
contagious diseases have to be reported to the Public Health Service.  While
the doctor-patient confidentiality privilege may prevent the doctor from
naming the person with the contagious disease, it does not prevent the
doctor from reporting the disease.  And, if the person with the disease
conducts him/herself in a reckless manner, then I would think the doctor
would be ethically required to report that person to health authorities.  And
if the doctor knows the source of the contagious disease, then that doctor
should be obligated to disclose the source.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Fountain Conner wrote:

. > Roger, that's the law here in Florida, and I believe in the rest of the
. > country.

. > I do not believe that *any* doctor, nationwide, is permitted to report a
. > person who has AIDS.

. > I took a class called "Peoples' Law" several years ago, and that is what I
. > understood at that time.

. > Correct me if I'm wrong.

. > Fountain E. Conner, P.E.