Re: canvas awnings tension on dowel supports

Tom,

	You might try the equation

	W*L^2/8 = P*Delta

Where	W = 60 psf

	L = Span of canvas between rods

	P = Canvas tension under load (per foot of width of canvas).  This
value is limited by the strength of the canvas

	Delta = Sag of the canvas under load.  This value will allow you to
calculate the "stretch" of the canvas under load and hence the maximum
permissible value of the pretensioning force given the elastic
properties of the canvas.

	60 psf seems to me to be a fairly high snow load so you might have to
make some radical assumptions like ignoring deflection of the support
rods to get a practical solution from the above.

	Good luck.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson