Re: FW: Daul System Vs. Hybrid System

A "hybrid system" could be refering to composite systems.  There is more
use of mixed material systems in today's structural engineering world.
There has been quite a bit of research recently on RCS (reinforced
concrete - steel) composite systems.  I participated in some testing of
steel beam to RC column moment connections.  This type of construction is
used in some areas of the US for mid to high rise construction.  For
example, I believe there have been several buildings in Houston
constructed using this type of system.

BTW, I concur with the explanation of dual systems.  I would add that
I believe that ALL dual systems (at least by code) are comprised of a
moment frame system plus some other lateral force resisting system
(shear wall, braces, etc).  And, typically there is a minimum
percentage of lateral force that the moment frames must be designed to
carry even if the other (typically more stiff) system "sucks" in more
load.  I seem to recall that the moment frame must be design for at
least 25% of the lateral load (seismically speaking, that is).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI