To: SEAINT
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 11:30 PM
Subject: Bending Embedded Reinforcing Steel

I have a detail on my plans with #4 bars bent 90 degrees from vertical in a
concrete stem wall to horizontal into a slab on grade.  Nothing unusual.
The contractor wants to install embedded bars in the stem wall with the 90
degree bend to horizontal and then another 90 degree bend back to the
vertical just outside of the stem wall to make kind of a vertical Zee.  This
last bend is temporary and will be bent back to horizontal when the slab is
placed.    I have an older CRSI book which allows it only with the approval
of the engineer and also a CRSI Engineering Data Report Number 12 which
seems to indicate that it is probably OK for smaller bars.

I can think of lots of reasons why this should not be done but just wonder
if anyone else has had this detail presented to them and whether or not they
approved it and why.

Thanks,
Jim Persing, SE
Advanced Structural ******* ******* ******* ***