From: vicpeng <vicpeng(--nospam--at)sprint.ca>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bending Embedded Reinforcing Steel
Date: Saturday, July 07, 2001 12:14 PM

There was report issued about 11 years ago in New Zealand following some
research on the bending of rebar.  It found that one (1) cold bend of rebar
resulted in minimal loss of strength, however, on two (2) or bends there
was a drastic loss of strength.  I therefore only allow one cold bend,
however, what I don't see ....  Heating and bending is definitely out!

Hence you need to exercise caution with on-site bending.

Thor A Tandy P.Eng
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)sprint.ca