Re: Bending Embedded Reinforcing Steel

Jim:

Section 7.3.2 of ACI 318-99 (and 95) addresses this issue.  It states:

"Reinforcement partially embedded in concrete shall not be field bent,
except as shown on the design drawings or permitted by the engineer."

The commentary for section 7.3.2 does give some useful information about
this topic and even points to a couple references for testing/research
done on cold bending of rebar.  The commentary also does some guidance on
the use of heat in field bending bars.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI