Re: boat house

You might want to contact the "California Department of Boating and
Waterways" in Sacramento or whomever has local jurisidiction of the waterways
in the Stockton area. Some other public agency will probably have to review
the structural design besides the building department, at least thats the way
it works in Marina Del Rey where the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches
and Harbors has structural drawings reviewed/approved for structural design
compliance prior to sending drawings to the building department).  I believe
either/both agencies should have some minimum criteria for designing of boat
houses (freeboard, deflection, bouyancy, impact forces), or who you might
want to contact.  There are consultants that different municipalities will
subcontract out work to review dock designs for public marinas (docks, finger
docks, gangways, pilings, etc).

I am not sure they allow for the underwater superstructures as you described,
at least in the public marinas.  I know that there are premanufactured kits
that are manufactured and marketed in the midwest that have not been allowed
in California.  ADA compliance is now becoming an issue when replacing
existing docks, which shouldn't be a problem since this is a private boat
house I would think.

Good Luck,

Michael Cochran S.E.