RE: ASCE 7 Wind Load Provisions

Steven,

The critical change is from the UBC 97 to the ASCE 7-95.  The extreme wind
velocity map in the UBC 97 are "fastest mile".  The extreme wind velocity
maps in the ASCE 7-93 were also in "fastest mile".  The extreme wind
velocities in the maps of both the ASCE 7-95 and ASCE 7-98 are in "3 second
gust" velocities (which is based on the National Weather Service).

The change from the ASCE 7-95 to ASCE 7-98 is not all that significant.
There was some reformatting, and they added a simplified procedure.

There are many more fundamental changes from the UBC 97 to the ASCE 7-95 and
include things such as:
*	Cladding pressure calculations
*	Escarpment effect
*	Component pressure calculations
*	Quartering wind effect

My suggestion is to just totally disregard UBC 97 and focus on ASCE 7-98
(which includes a pretty good commentary).

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague