RE: CALTran Loading combination

Fire truck loading will be significantly higher than HS-20.  The normal fire
truck axle and wheel loading will be within AASHTO HS 20 when it is
traveling from point A to point B.  But when they set up and set the
outriggers, all bets are off.

The punching shear must be considered and will drive the thickness of the
slab.  The outrigger loading on aerial platforms is huge.  The last time I
checked Pierce, Seagrave, Sutphen, and E-1.  A Pierce aerial  had the
largest outrigger loads at about 60,000 pounds (HS-20 wheel loads are 16,000
pounds).  The only thing that NFPA says is that the outriggers are limited
to 75 psi maximum bearing pressure under the outrigger.

There is NOTHING in any code on this.  Fire apparatus manufactures are very
tight lipped on maximum outrigger loading.

Specifically to your question on distribution for HS 20.  The axle load is
distributed across a 10' lane.  The wheel load is distributed over a width
of 1 inch per ton of loaded weight.  You really need to get the AASHTO to
see all of the permutations of load distribution.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague