Calculating Material Quality ?

Dear Sateesh,

Are you talking of Material Quality or Quantity ?
Material Quantity can be calculated.
Material Quality can be assessed.

Perhaps Material Quality Assessment is in terms of
some index which can be calculated based on results of
testing.

I am not aware  of Material Quality calculation and if
there is such a thing I would welcome any information.
I am particularly interested in Steel Structures.

G Vishwanath
Bangalore , India.