Re: Distributed Floor Loads

If the floor is a composite floor system, then manufacturer's catalogs (I
have United Steel Deck) detail a procedure to determine the effective
slab width.  I've been doing quite a bit of this lately for
communications retrofits with batteries and UPS.  Haven't had one with
wheels yet.  For precast hollow core systems, the PCI handbook Chapter 4
illustrates a method to deal with line and point loads.  Haven't seen
anything published for concrete floor systems.  Usually use some
judgement and try to be conservative.

Eric Ober
Cagley and Associates
Rockville, MD