Distributed Floor Loads

Mitch,

Check the code under which it was designed.  Some occupancy loadings require
a uniform load of x psf or a concentrated load placed anywhere on the floor.,
whichever causes the worst condition.

Remember, for a simply supported member, the equivalent uniform load for a
concentrated load at mid-span is:

      w = (2*P)/(b*L)

where, b = width over which concentrated load is applied.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mitchell Sklar wrote:

. > What is the general rule or any published documents about checking an
. > existing floor for new loads.

. > Example new UPS or Battery Cabinet installed in an existing building.
. > Assume original building live load design is 50psf + 20psf for
. > partitions. Battery Cabinet footprint is 45" x 32", weight = 3765#

. > Option 1 Gross load = 3765# / (45*32/144) = 376.5 psf (too much)
. > Option 2 3765# / [(18+45+18)*(18+32+18)]/144 = 98.4 psf (better)

. > How much area can I spread my new units out? 1 ft, 2ft?

. > Okay, now here is the twist, the Battery Cabinet is supported by 8
. > wheels @ 471#. How would you handle the concentrated stress?

. > Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E.