Re: Distributed Floor Loads

I would be inclined to analyze the floor in question for the new load(s) to be
applied, regardless of prevailing building codes at the time of
design/construction.  There's simply no way to tell if the building was built
right without checking it yourself.

Also, I'd be inclined to check the slab regardless of anything else.  Sometimes
I feel comfortable making generalizations about beams, girders, and columns,
but slabs a very prone to failure under a concentrated load.

Don't shortcut this assignment.  Most floor designs, even with grossly
conservative assumptions, should show the floor to be ok.

-Keith Fix, PE (CA & Arkansas)
-Little Rock