From: Kevin Harris [mailto:Kevinh(--nospam--at)jhiengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 3:24 PM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: "Cantilevered Column" Structures

Greetings

I have a question that has been bugging me for awhile that I hope someone
can give me some guidance on.

Here are the facts:

1) A lightweight pre-engineered building (say 20 psf) bearing on a pile
supported mat that supports tanks and equipment (say 500 psf+).

2) UBC seismic zone 3.

3) Point of fixity of piles is 20 ft below grade, per geotech.

Would this structure have to be considered a "cantilevered column building
system" (R=2.2)?  I was wondering if I would be released from this low R
value because the structure is essentially just an equipment foundation.

Also, if I have to use R=2.2 for the foundation, would the light metal
building shell have to be designed with R=2.2 as well (unless it can be
shown to have 10 times the metal building stiffness)?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Kevin Harris, P.E.