Article on Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer In This Month's SE Mag

A couple of notes with regards to CFRP technology.

It has many advantages although the carbon fiber is relatively expensive.

It is a  very brittle material and needs UV protection.

I've used it successfully to reinforce a six story concrete structure.
There was no long term concern with regards to the ultraviolet exposure
since the fiber was protected by the application of veneer tiles.

UC San Diego does allot of testing with regards to CFRP and could be
contacted for valuable information.

Hope this helps,

Desi J. Kiss, P.E.

> A very interesting article in this month's Structural Engineer magazine
> about CFRP technology just happened to  take my notice just as I'm
> attempting to write a specification to apply this technology to a job
that
> I'm doing.
>
> I have made contact with Delta Structural Technologies (representing
> FiberWrap) here in Houston, but I want a more broad-based perspective,
so
> I'd like to talk to some other manufacturers of such systems. Anyone
know
> how to get in contact with Ehren Barr (who wrote the article that
appears
in
> SE) and Fortress Stabilization? Interesting that they gave no contact
> information in the article.
>
> Thanks.
>
> William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
> Polhemus Engineering Company