Epoxy Anchor Bolts- Some more thoughts

Bill Polhemus writes:

"Then I'm surprised you haven't seen this become a regular practice. As I said, the technology has developed so that this is actually the smart way to set anchor rods."

May I suggest that although using epoxy anchors may be getting to be a "smart" practice from a construction standpoint, I believe it should not be a regular practice from an engineering standpoint.  At least three reasons:

1.  Drilling into existing concrete may cut existing reinforcing.

2.  Published design capacities for epoxy anchors are dependent on large edge distances and spacing that often cannot be met in existing concrete.

3.  Epoxy anchors have a very low tolerance for temperatures above 100 degrees farehnheit.

Carl Sramek
Los Alamitos, CA