Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 7:00 PM
Subject: RE: built up steel column

Dave,

The only templates I have are proprietary company templates (with our logo, etc.) but I will gladly share how to calc the St. Venant constant for a built-up section (3-Plate welded section).

bfo = outer flange width
tfo = outer flange thickness
bfi = outer flange width
tfi = outer flange thickness
d = depth of section
h = web depth = 4 - tfo - tfi
tw = web thickness
^3 = to the 3rd power (i.e. cubed)

J = (bfo*tfo^3 + bfi*tfi^3 + h*tw^3) / 3

HTH,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC MO