RE: Bent Plate

We use "Bent Plate" all of the time.  Typically, for odd dimensions, but,
increasing, for normal deck edge.  Bending work hardens the plate a little
but does not noticeably change the material properties.   (Steel is ductile
hence the modulus of elasticity is constant below the yield stress.)

Mark Jones
Jacobs Engineering

> -Todd Hill [mailto:thill(--nospam--at)tkarch.com] wrote:
> I have a continuous bearing angle called out and the
> fabricator wants to
> substitute with a bent plate.
> I don't know why he wants to do this, yet.
> Regardless, my question is on the strength of a bent plate.
> Is there any loss of bending capacity of the plate due to the initial
> bending of the plate during fabrication?
> This kind of reverts back to the loss in rebar strength
> discussion after
> bending.

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.